I was invited to a 21st birthday party a few weeks ago. It was for a friend’s son. A kid I’ve known for most of his life. What do you buy for a young man who’s turning 21? I know it’s kind of a big deal. I also thought a six-pack of beer or a bottle of Whisky might sent the wrong message. To his parents. So instead of buying a brass coated, plastic key made in China, I opted for a framed list of 21 lessons I’ve learned during my life on this little blue ball.
And what kind of person would I be if I didn’t share those lessons with all of you? Here goes.
- Don’t take yourself too seriously. Life is short enough.
- Have a sense of humour. Laugh often. At yourself, then with others.
- Don’t burn any bridges. Literally and figuratively.
- People can be real assholes sometimes. Just remember you’re a people too.
- Love and respect your parents. It’s the least you can do. You’ll thank me later.
- Appreciate your family. All of them. Siblings get better with age.
- Respect alcohol. If you don’t, it will bitch-slap you across the face.
- Cherish your friends. They are the ones most likely to supply bail money.
- Don’t be afraid to be different. Be unique. Never be boring.
- Don’t evaluate beauty on looks alone. It might only be make-up.
- Find something you would do for free and make that a career.
- If you can’t say something nice about another person, shut the fuck up.
- When someone gives you a compliment, say thank you. They’ve noticed greatness.
- Don’t sweat the small stuff. Pick your battles. There will be many to choose from.
- Don’t let any person treat you like a piece of shit. Just walk away.
- Love yourself. It’s only then that you will be able to love others.
- Don’t go to bed mad. Sort the shit out.
- When life blows you apart, you’re the only who can put yourself together.
- Tattoo’s might seem like a good idea at the time. It’s not.
- Relationships is hard work. But it’s worth every drop of blood, sweat and tear.
- Enjoy the party and remember don’t puke on a bed. Hangover cleaning sucks.
I also bought him a drinking game. Everyone needs balance in their life. 😉